Tuesday 15 June 2010

INSANE IN THE BRAIN

I love the film One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.  I don't identify with the characters (the play takes place in a mental institution, although there are times perhaps I think I should)  but I have met so many Nurse Rachete-types in my life - the butter wouldn't melt women who talk in whispers, all sweetness and light - but have an anger, bitterness and frustration - like an Icelandic volcano that threatens to explode any moment and devastate any one and everyone that gets in their way.  There was a woman at the Air Canada desk several years back that offered to upgrade me from Toronto to London, but when I thanked her and asked politely if I could also have access to the business lounge, she looked at me and smiled 'I have the power to give this to you and the power to take it away'.   There is power and there is madness and there is power madness. 

I saw a Swedish dance group called BOUNCE at the Peacock Theatre this evening which was One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest with hip hop and a bit of disco thrown in for good measure.   Sounds utterly ridiculous and wired but was utterly brilliant.    It managed to entertain, haunt, humor and stun an audience who were transfixed by the skill and cleverness not only of the dance but the production.   Gloriously crazy.  Go see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment