Tuesday 16 June 2015

BIRTHDAY ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN


Gawd, fifty one already.   Birthday morning, I stood on top of a hillside in La Clusaz, and cried at the overwhelming beauty of the place, silly cow that I am.  Closing myself off to hatred, I also close myself off to beauty as well - and its overwhelming when I feel safe enough to open up again and let the beauty in.  I'm back in Richmond now so heart hermetically sealed.   But for that moment, that day, there I was, very happy, and open, surrounded by (not so) silly cows, with huge cow bells munching grass (the cows that is, not me), I spent three days in the company of some lovely strangers, loads of mountain bikers, a yogi and osteopath who placed crystals in places I haven't had anything for a very long time!   It is a village of 2000, which explodes by ten in the winter months, and during the summer has a series of mountain bike competitions which defy gravity and courage (or is that stupidity).  I took the easy 9k route 'route de gourmande' which basically is they say an 'easy peasy' route punctuated by cheese and wine stop overs.  There was only one we stopped at (very good, goat cheese - excellent; and I had apple juice instead of cider, but was hit by a low hanging cow bell (from the tent) thank goodness for the bike helmet because I would have knocked myself out).  You had to be born before 2000 to take part - so I was fine.

But oh boy, my bum hurt. Absolutely aches. Those who take part in mountain biking must have butts as tight as walnuts or at least be able to crack them between their cheeks. Bless.   On the Saturday it was hot and everyone got sweaty. Then a huge storm (incredible in the mountains) and on Sunday, rain in the afternoon, so everyone was covered head to toe in mud. Except the panda eyes thanks to the glasses they wore. Some of the drops that ride over appear vertical. Am sure they are not, but they appear that way.

I did yoga on my birthday at seven am started a two hour walk up up up up and then reached the top, to downward and upward dog and tree pose and of course eagle and mountain pose because seemed appropriate on top of a mountain.  Was with lovely guide Natalie who was in Nepal when the quake happened. She told me it lasted for 45 minutes. She felt the earth was angry with the way we were behaving - we as in mankind.   "Trying to wake us up".  Has she succeeded?   Nope.   Have to happen again then won't it.   Not in Nepal again though please. Nor in la Clusaz for that matter. And they speak French there - more than you can say for the nearby Chamonix where they don't speak French in some bars now.

Lake Annecy lovely.  Have never visited - or if I have can't remember.   Lovely place which doesn't depend on tourism. Which is a good thing.  Places that do are at the beck and call of people with absolutely no taste.

Thank you to all those who wished me happy birthday.   I had a nice time. x


No comments:

Post a Comment