Saturday 3 June 2023

PRETTY IN PINK OR JUST WEAK?

 BARBIE is out soon, and looking at femininity and feminism and all things pink I find of interest.   I bought a magazine called PINK in the supermarket as it was for a child audience and wanted to see what little girls were being fed. Free gifts of mermaid slime, barbie playing cards and barbie mobile phone holder.  Pink stickers.   And teddy bears, and Ariel and Snow White and Encanto (a bit more kick ass) and a bit about dollhouses, and hello kitty, and Frozen II (more kick ass).  I found out my Frozen II name is Lady Willow Sparkling Forest.   Yeahhhh.   I am so Lady Willow Sparkling Forest!  

 I was always a tom-boy, climbing trees, and being outside in the countryside, having more fun with the boys than the girls, because they had more fun.   The girls played with dolls, were inside, sitting quietly, or bitching, the boys were outdoors, running, getting mucky and being dangerous. That IS more fun.   I am still very much that way. My dad brought me up really as a boy, saying 'give in give in' before I had hit the first ball on the tennis court.   My dad's philosophy was never ever give in. My mother's 'you will need support from a man' which sort of conflicts with dad's philosophy.   In the end I chose dad's because it is better, stronger, enabling and for me, right.   I'm a feminine female, love colour and nature and 'the stuff of experience rather than the experience of stuff'.  I still think men have more fun, and as a mother (a role I loved), had much more fun without being married than I ever would have, being married. I suppose again that is different for all women.   I think there would be times when it would be useful to have a man about, but I have an invisible one, who appears when I need the plumbing done, or the electricity fixed or some such.  But best still to learn how to do it yourself.   And learn to do stuff. Fly, drive better, swim better, paint better.   Live better.   I am still in a way that Tom-boy climbing trees and being outside in the countryside, having more fun with the boys than the girls, because they still are, more fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment