Thursday 4 April 2013

LOST IN AUSTEN...AND CHARLIE BROOKER ON RELATIONSHIPS

Just watching a program I didn't see first time round. Lost in Austen, the story of a modern day girl that's got lost literally into the plot of Pride and Prejudice. I feel a bit like her at the moment.   She is creating chaos bit like I think I do in my life.   Every time I think I've found Darcey I end up with a pantomime prince, who likes to be pissed on, continually asks after sex 'am I the best' and feels like a woman inside - denoting an ambiguity about sexuality, insecurity, neediness and lack of understanding who he is.   Back to the program, the modern day girl has already pinched Darcey from Elizabeth Bennett but I'm sure the plot will all return to as it should be.  Any way, the program waxes lyrical about how relationships should be all about gentle restraint and no kissing, although Ms Bingley was found out to be a lesbian (I actually always thought she was) and will marry Darcey anyway because it looks good and they both quote 'fit in with each others lifestyles and incomes'. Wow, I realise how little has changed. Probably even the lesbian bit too.  I also suspect there are threesomes going on in the back of the barouches all over Pemberley (they didn't have taxi in those days...) and that will feature in the next episode.  Probably.  However, it is still oddly romantic and appeals to my 'there is hope' although it does me giggle and seems oddly timely for me.

Then I turned channels. There was a program on dogging. I initially thought this was possibly to do with Crufts, and there were indeed people on there with animal masks on, but no it was to do with people watching other people have sex in the back of cars.  I am sure this will feature in the Lost in Austen program at some stage.  I am sure they did it then.  I am sure they did.

I then turned channels in search of a channel that didn't have sex on.  All the rest was food, how to prepare food.  About twenty channels on only food. And one on sex and food.  

Then I found Charlie Brooker on how TV ruins our lives and I laughed till I cried. It was about how TV portrays relationships. Go see it on iplayer because it is hilarious, vicious, painfully accurate and very angry, eloquent and all the other positive superlatives. He knows TV very well and he is so angry about it.  I do hope he does a program on bankers and he asks me to get involved. but this one was hilarious. He did a piece on break ups, sex, marriage, the lot, 'making do' with people who may be dull but at least they're seemingly 'safe' (bit like the sapphically inclined Ms Bingley and Pantomime prince Darcey marriage).  I do hope against all odds Darcey ends up with Elizabeth. Ultimately, she does do it for him while Ms Bingley types don't.    That's the romantic in me.  Probably why I stick to fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment