Monday 18 November 2013

THE HEAT IS ON, ON ROUTE TO THAILAND


It's supposed to snow in the UK this week, so I've flown to Thailand with Tom, who's writing for National Geographic Traveller and I'm covering the usual. The last time I was in Thailand was several years ago with my ex, and I must try to go to a place where no exes have been to before. Think that is why I loved China so much - or one of the reasons.   At the moment in Hua Hin, where the Thais holiday and there are very few tourists here.   The typhoon hit so the beach has been turned into a fraction of it's former glory and some of the trees have disappeared but my room looks out over the sea and the sunrise, which I will see tomorrow morning because my time clock is screwed.    I am now in the land of calm where it is rude to show anger.

However, on the flight (they had no chicken left, only pork, don't eat pork, so went without) flight, I watched a film called THE HEAT.  The story is slight.   It's pinced thin cop meets wild liberated cop and they get the bad guy despite the weak dim witted men in charge screwing things up and being blind to who the bad guy is. Even the dog is stupid in this film, but there's a clever cat - so men are dogs women are cats sort of thing....  Sort of Ms Confidentiality without the beauty pageant.

BUT it is hilarious.  As in I was laughing I was crying although this may have been due to too much pumped oxygen on the flight or lack of it.   There are lines in the films Highlander and Withnail and I, that I have had recited to me over the years by males who wish they'd been inspired to come up with them first, or had a life interesting or magical enough to have merited them. Well the actress (and I can't remember her name) who is the partner to Sandra Bullock (playing pinced thin cop) comes out with a speech insulting her boss that is brilliant. It is ferocious, it is articulate, it is very funny, very clever, and she says it brilliantly.   It is what every woman should at some stage say and mean to one man in her life.  Only one.  Don't say to more than one, just give that one the full benefit of every single syllable. Say it with feeling, and say it in public.  Watch for that scene alone although there are lots of others that are funny.    You will know the one I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment