Tuesday 30 July 2013

TUCKER TIME

I do not have a clue what time it is.  My friends usually say I'm on Tucker Time and have no sense of time anyway, hence tardiness, but I really don't know what time it is. Yukon time is seven hours behind us, so I feel I've lost seven hours but am still wide awake and not sure if I should be wide awake or if I'm just over tired. I haven't done yoga class today so that usually sorts me out.  I've been practicing back bends (urdhva dandhasanas) every day, even in the handicapped toilets at some of the tourist information centres (is that illegal or unethical or just plain wrong?) and hope to God they don't have cameras as I'm sure they would have had me locked up. But driving an RV for up to 8 hours every day my back hurts. I know some people do that every day 24/7 but ouch.  I covered 1500 miles in 8 days, probably more.    The itinerary filling me with anxiety the diesel filling me with debt (it's expensive).  but when I did stop and take in the scenery, it is absolutely glorious. Even in my tired punch drunk state I remember the lakes and mountains and sunsets.   They are overwhelming.    But I am in sunny England - well it's not sunny and everyone here seems very happy about it because they all say it got real damn hot here while I've been away.    It's lovely hot. Don't complain about it being hot.   Hot is good. It's you that's not good at dealing with hot.

And in Tucker time style I've hit the ground running. Just completed case histories for an article on helicopter parenting and getting it right and I'm supposed to be the relaxed one. Are you JOKING.   I have written books about travelling with teenagers and articles, been on tv, radio, the net and I've returned thinking I've got it wrong. Once again the most spectacular scenery in the world (as per last year with the Canyon) and my intelligent well balanced grounded rounded son (that's what I've said he is in the article) is looking at the ruddy Ipad while I'm marvelling at the fabulous scenery.   Actually he's playing a game which joins up the coloured dots and you've got to do it in a short amount of time think one, two, three or four minutes, and he is very good at it and I'm rubbish because I'm looking at the wonderful scenery and the road and the road signs which HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING AT AND GUIDING ME THROUGH SO I DON'T GO 100 MILES THE WRONG WAY INTO THE BACK OF NOWHERE WHEN THERE IS VERY LITTLE DIESEL LEFT IN THE TANK!!!!  Enough said. I love him dearly and we are still on speaking terms after eight days in an RV together.





I've got to write up the Yukon pieces and have a lot of material to focus on. I've already mentioned this in a previous blog briefly but I met some amazing people. The Cathers in Lake Laberge who are a wonderful family, authentic, they teach people how to race husky sledges. Tom was in seventh heaven.    Then Keith Wolf Smarch who allowed Tom to take chips out of a Totem Pole. I don't know about him but I think that's cool. My son has helped make a genuine totem pole.    Bet Blue Peter hasn't even done that (yet).  They should get that blond girl to stand on the end of one and stay there...  And Brent the guide in Haines Junction who showed us a lot of bear poo.  You can never have too much of that.  No bears though.





Then I've got the book to complete, and to find the piece I wrote on LA for PA because PA don't know where it is. And I met a very nice man on the flight back who said he was a securities lawyer (dull) but then explained he liked poetry, knew what Indian astrology sign he was (warrior monk) and that he was a leo virgo cusp Rooster (very good combination) and has his dreams analyse.  He's also built his own boat which was sea worthy and sounded as though it could have gone the distance with the goldrush crew over 100 years ago.   He should in future mention the lawyer bit last. It's so not him.




And to add to the sureality of my day, my ex is sending me videos of himself dancing to camera and playing air drums (is there such a thing? I know air guitar..). I am not sure if he loves me or hates me.  I don't think he does either.   My friend tells me I should read into the subliminal message of the lyrics.   Huh?   Perhaps I should just ask his girlfriend.  







No comments:

Post a Comment